[HCoop-Discuss] EnvironmentalPolicy

Aaron Hsu arcfide at sacrificumdeo.net
Tue Nov 28 20:52:18 EST 2006

On Nov 28, 2006, at 7:40 PM, Nathan Kennedy wrote:

> Aaron Hsu wrote:
>> If someone could point me to some of the resources that might give me
>> some more detailed information about where these organizations spend
>> their money, I would be able to more quickly assess my personal
>> opinion about this action. I do like the idea of a private
>> organization or co-op like ourselves funding a project to assist in
>> private companies building and creating cleaner energy plants, etc. I
>> do not like the idea of an organization llike ours providing funds to
>> a company or organization which also spends these funds, not only on
>> private action, but political lobbying to impel government to action,
>> usually in the form of regulation and legislation. So long as these
>> organizations are strictly operating only in the private sector, I'm
>> okay; if these organizations attempt to achieve their ends through
>> government intervention, however, I would like to express my strong
>> opposition.
>
> I was suggesting wind energy certificates from NativeEnergy.  You can
> find very detailed information at their website at
> http://www.nativeenergy.com/ as well as elsewhere on the web, as they
> are one of the larger North American marketers of RECs.
> NativeEnergy is majority-owned by the Intertribal Council on Utility
> Policy, which in turn is a nonprofit alliance of 11 Plains tribal
> governments dealing with energy issues.  Their main project is
> constructing a medium-sized wind farm on an Oglala Souix reservation.

 From the looks of it, it looks alright, but I'm very apprehensive
about this. I don't see any kind of assurances that all their funds
go directly to these projects. Is there somewhere that they guarantee
or provide some level of assurance that these funds are only to fund
the development of these plants? Specifically, I'm concerned as I
can't find anything indicating what, if anything, they contribute to
other organizations or political lobbying groups.

Aaron W. Hsu

arcfide at sacrificumdeo.net
Phone: 703-597-7656
IM: arcfide at xmpp.us (Jabber/XMPP/GTalk)