[Hcoop-discuss] Poll on how much you're willing to invest in HCoop

rob at hcoop.net rob at hcoop.net
Wed May 24 18:42:44 EDT 2006

I agree with doc in that I don't think its time for expansion.  I think
the current fyodor server is doing its job pretty well.  Aside from the
sluggish response during backups everything runs pretty smoothly.  I think
there is ample disk space available for those who need 'arbitrary large'
allocations.  We currently have 62 gigs free in /home.

The majority of the problems listed here:
http://wiki.hcoop.net/wiki/CurrentSystemGripes will not be solved by
upgrading our hardware or finding a new service provider.

Why is Abu still running?  Why are we not using it?  Why are we still pay
for this?

At the moment, aren't we currently accepting anyone who wants to join?  I
don't like the idea that I will be fronting the cost to expand our hosting
capabilities as we wait for new members to come.  We advertise on the
front page of the site that member dues are about 5 dollars.  We should
aim to keep it this way, always.  What are the problems with taking out a
loan?

I helped front the cost a year or two ago to pay for some additional
hardware.  I think it was around $70.  I don't have any desire to change
what we have.  I don't want to pay for any additional costs when I don't
see any beneficial return.  Perhaps new members should pay an initial
setup fee that can be saved and used to help offset the cost of new
hardware / services that will be needed later on.

-Rob