[Hcoop-discuss] Poll on how much you're willing to invest in HCoop

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sat May 20 12:40:54 EDT 2006

I think it's about time to get serious about our new colocation plans.
Summer, with its fewer time constraints, has started for me, and I
suspect that the same is true or about to be true for many other members.

This wiki page collects concrete offers so far from potential colo
providers:
    http://wiki.hcoop.net/wiki/ColocationProvidersEvaluation
It's not too late to add any other information that you can scare up,
but sooner is better than later.

In deciding which option is right for us, it's of course important to
think about the relative costs.  To evaluate them, we need some idea of
how much we as a group are willing to spend.  To that end, I have
created a poll on the portal:
    https://members.hcoop.net/portal/poll?id=8
It asks how much you are willing to "invest" in HCoop.  I expect that
the most reasonable scenario has different members paying different
monthly amounts based on how much they feel comfortable spending.
However, I haven't been thinking that this would affect service or
rights in any way; it's just an "investment" in the future of HCoop.  If
we rent colo facilities with cost beyond what our current membership
justifies, but we expect to be able to grow membership quickly to fill
the extra capacity, then I think that such a payment scheme as I've
described is preferable to something like loans from a third party.

The poll isn't accepting votes yet.  I wanted to check here first and
see if anyone thinks that the dollar amount options should be divided up
in some other way.  I'll open it up for voting in the next few days if
there are no complaints about the options.

And, of course, feel free to discuss, discuss, discuss in this mailing
list thread, before or after I open the poll.