[HCoop-Discuss] Reduced rate qualifications

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sat Jul 22 02:23:12 EDT 2006

frayedthread at hcoop.net wrote:
> I like the tiered pricing system idea, but I have some concerns.
> Like you said, it's more inclusive to members that cannot afford
> higher monthly costs.
Which is a very important point, seeing as a number of our members would
jump ship, and not for a bad reason.  They would be overpaying for a
level of service they can't use and don't need.  HCoop is not suppose to
be a charity.
> However, it may be more cooperative to maintain
> as little hierarchy as possible by making all members pay an equal
> amount and/or offering the same feature set to everyone.

I don't understand this reasoning.

It's not more cooperative to require members to pay the same amount and
receive the same services, it's just unflexible--it is offering only a
single product and a single service.  Imagine a food co-op where
everyone has to pay the same amount and buy the same quantities of the
same groceries every week, or a housing co-op where everyone gets
identical apartments whether they are single or a large family.

Cooperation is ensured by "one person one vote." Regardless of service
level, all members have equal representation in the board.  If we are to
serve a diverse group with diverse needs, it is economically inevitable
that we will have to come up with a fair pricing scheme that reflects
different levels of service, charging members dues that are reflective
of their usage levels.  And of course it is not just economically
inevitable but fundamentally fair,--it makes no sense for low-usage
users to be massively subsidizing high-usage "leech" users.  Currently
the difference between our highest and lowest users is a couple orders
of magnitude, but as we expand and attract the ability to serve members
with much larger needs (high bandwidth sites, or even VPS/collocation
services), this gap will increase unless we totally disenfranchise users
with most basic needs.  Dues assessed must reflect that.
> How would these tiers be determined? Would it have set quotas and
> features? Or would it have some sort scoring system based on disk and
> bandwidth usage?
>
> I think that if we go with a tiered system, the feature set should not
> be divided. I think we should have tiers based on usage, not features.

I thought I explained that in my initial email.  I came up with the list
of people qualifying for the lower tier by reviewing disk usage and
bandwidth history, and picking those members with less than 50M of disk
usage and consistently less than 15M of bandwidth usage.  Obviously
every pricing scheme is arbitrary at some point, but looking at the
current resource distribution this seemed like a reasonable and fair cutoff.

Quotas go hand-in-hand with usage, so it would make sense to
additionally set an actual disk quota limit of 50M.
The only feature difference I proposed was requiring mail to be
forwarded and denying IMAP/webmail to lower-tier users.  This is simply
because we don''t have a good way of metering this usage (either in
terms of bandwidth or CPU usage), and it is relatively
resource-intensive, while at the same time there are a vast number of
free email providers of all sorts out there providing all these
services, so it is not much of a hardship to such users who might choose
this option.