[HCoop-Discuss] window maker seeks new hosting solution

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Thu Jul 6 15:49:32 EDT 2006

Andre Kuehne wrote:

>I am a bit involved in the wm-dev mailinglist and know from there that
>the window maker maintainers are looking for a new hosting solution.
>
>I thought about suggesting hcoop to them, but i have no clue if we are
>up to the task at the moment, or in general, or if there might be other
>issues i didn't thought about.
>
>Besides the standard requirements they moved their development tree
>from CVS to darcs. I am no darcs expert, but as far as i know about
>darcs and our hosting architecture, setting up a remotely commmitable
>darcs repo would require either
>
>- an own unix user for the repository and then storing public keys of
>   all commiters into ~repo-user/.ssh/authorized_keys
>
>- or using some kind of server process or cronjob which applies
>   patches send via email

I'm not familiar enough with darcs to say.  Basically, anything that can
be done safely in a shared environment of mutually-untrusting users
without imposing a large hardware resource or administrative burden
should be doable.

It would probably be a shame for them to join before we switch to our
new server architecture, though, since it would mean re-doing their
configuration at most a few months later.  There are also the
reliability concerns about our current architecture that I've voiced
many times before, such that I wouldn't recommend that such a
high-profile project sign up with us yet.