[Hcoop-discuss] Sun Fire servers

Justin Hart justinhart at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 13:54:16 EST 2006

I've only ever worked with SPARC SunFires, but, they were very nice
servers.  You can get just about any feature set you want on the SPARC
ones.

We're about to buy a couple dozen Dell 1850's for my lab's new
cluster.  The Theory Center here seems to like them quite a bit.

All of that aside... have we nailed down a feature set yet?  It seems
prudent to just figure out what features we want, and then find the
lowest cost solution providing all of those features... perhaps
sparing a bit of extra change for modularity and expandability.

Justin Hart

On 1/29/06, Justin S. Leitgeb <leitgebj at hcoop.net> wrote:
> Sun Fire servers might not be a bad idea, following Nathan's
> suggestion.  I just looked at them for the first time, and the energy
> efficiency, on-board RAID 0,1, 4 gigabit ethernet ports and SAS would be
> very nice.  I know that I didn't fully appreciate how much power servers
> could use until I started working in a data center with 300+ servers --
> the amount of electricity that data centers consume is really massive.
>
> In my last email I mentioned the Dell 1850 only because I've seen 200+
> of them run well in production.  Certainly open to other ideas, and I
> was already thinking that AMD might be a better way for us to go.  Below
> is a link for the Sun Fire X4100 that may be helpful for anyone interested.
>
> http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x4100/features.jsp
>
> Justin
>
> ntk at hcoop.net wrote:
>

> >Just throwing this out there, but what do you tech folks think about using
> >alternate architectures, say Sun Fire servers?  At least for the main
> >static web/mail server, perhaps for the file server, and then some solid
> >Intel server for the login node?
> >
> >-ntk

Justin W. Hart