[Hcoop-discuss] Sun Fire servers

Justin S. Leitgeb leitgebj at hcoop.net
Sun Jan 29 10:14:29 EST 2006

Sun Fire servers might not be a bad idea, following Nathan's
suggestion.  I just looked at them for the first time, and the energy
efficiency, on-board RAID 0,1, 4 gigabit ethernet ports and SAS would be
very nice.  I know that I didn't fully appreciate how much power servers
could use until I started working in a data center with 300+ servers --
the amount of electricity that data centers consume is really massive.

In my last email I mentioned the Dell 1850 only because I've seen 200+
of them run well in production.  Certainly open to other ideas, and I
was already thinking that AMD might be a better way for us to go.  Below
is a link for the Sun Fire X4100 that may be helpful for anyone interested.

http://www.sun.com/servers/entry/x4100/features.jsp

Justin