[Hcoop-discuss] Sun Fire servers

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Mon Jan 30 13:06:58 EST 2006

Justin Hart wrote:

>All of that aside... have we nailed down a feature set yet?  It seems
>prudent to just figure out what features we want, and then find the
>lowest cost solution providing all of those features... perhaps
>sparing a bit of extra change for modularity and expandability.

I think the feature set is basically what we have now, with:
- More resilience against data loss, due to hardware failure, benevolent
human error, or system break-ins
- More resilience against other problems stemming from hardware failure
- The ability to support arbitrary amounts of disk space used by members
(for an extra fee)

And some other points that would support these goals:
- Keep as many services as possible on servers to which rank-and-file
members can't log in or otherwise run code
- Formalize our human administration structure to minimize turn-around
time and maximize time coverage