[Hcoop-discuss] Help plan our next server set-up!

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sat Jan 21 18:15:34 EST 2006

ntk at hcoop.net wrote:

>>I wouldn't mind contributing; why not just have everyone involved
>>by default if they respond to discussions on hcoop-discuss?
>>

>Other than the fact that some users may not want that high a level of
>involvement, I think the more important reason is that if everyone is
>involved no-one is responsible.

That's right.  I know that, as things stand, nothing will happen unless
I prod people every step of the way.  I'm looking for people to agree to
take responsibility for planning this, probably including one person to
be "in charge" and drive the entire process.

Ignoring the fact that I've already invested a huge amount of time in
all sorts of HCoop issues, I'm sure that a significant fraction of
members are better qualified than I am to plan this stuff.  If you've
ever had a job that involved any component of system administration,
then this probably means you!

Any takers?

>* I think that we can craft a course of action which does NOT require
>another enforced migration of current users in the near future.

I'm fine with giving people a year or so to migrate, but it's not
realistic to expect volunteers to keep pointlessly redundant
infrastructure running.  I think it would be fair to remove any
guarantee of system availability or survival of data once we have a new
set of systems running elsewhere.