[Hcoop-discuss] Help plan our next server set-up!

Justin S. Leitgeb leitgebj at hcoop.net
Tue Jan 24 10:10:39 EST 2006

Hi all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I talked with Adam over email
and volunteered myself to facilitate planning and implementation of the
new infrastructure.  For me this means that I will periodically
summarize discussions on this list to update the main wiki pages, and
that I will try to maintain momentum in the group towards goals related
to our network infrastructure.

In this project, I hope that I can use some of my experience in my
current job to help the cooperative.  I am currently an operations
developer for an internet company with around 300 servers (all
linux/Unix), including clusters of up to 70 load-balanced web servers
fed by replicated and clustered database back-ends.  I'm also a
part-time Sociology instructor at a local community college in Western
New York, an academic position which has been related to my interest and
support for various cooperative movements.

Although I think that some of my technical experience may be a valuable
resource in this project, I also realize that hcoop has very specialized
needs.  For that reason, I'm looking forward to learning from everyone
else in the coop as we configure new machines and build new tools to
improve our services.  In general, I think that the more voices from the
coop that we can have discussing our ideal configurations and practical
constraints, the better off we will be in the architecture that we end
up with.

With that, Shaun, Karl, Nathan, Adam, and others who may not have spoken
up yet -- how do you see us building out our infrastructure to best
leverage existing resources while leaving us space for anticipated
growth?  Specifically, what resources do we have access to, now and in
the near future, in terms of hardware and capital that we can put to
use?  How do you see these resources being allocated?  Ideas about an
ideal setup that would help us to adapt to future growth?

Looking forward to getting to know everyone and building a great hosting
cooperative!

Best,

Justin