[HCoop-Discuss] Cooperation among cooperatives - colocation

Graham Freeman graham.freeman at cernio.com
Thu Dec 21 08:16:46 EST 2006

On 20-Dec-06, at 09:18, Adam Chlipala wrote:

> While this sounds great, I have a few things I'd like to discuss about
> it, and I'd probably give my personal vote for the bulk of your
> proposition...

Cool...

> as I've said before, I'm requesting that all discussion
> of major new undertakings be shelved until we have all current members
> moved to our new servers.

Sorry, I didn't see your previous request.  Either I joined
afterward, or I missed it in the list traffic.

This needn't be a major undertaking, though.  I realize that because
I included a lot of detail in my first message, it came across as a
big chunk of connected work.

I can send the rails along for $50 in Hcoop credit, regardless of
what we do about the rest.  And I can make arrangements with Nathan
directly if Hcoop agrees to sublet space in the colo cabinet to me.
The PDU can be a separate decision that takes place later (although
if you're going to use it you'll want to start doing so *before* you
go into production...)  And any discussions about Hcoop colocating
with Cernio can take place if/when Hcoop is ready to engage in such a
discussion.

>   That, unfortunately, would mean that your
> January timeline for new colocation would be infeasible, and it would
> also mean that we can't offer a concrete timeline yet at all.

Understandable.  However, if it's going to be much later than
February, a significant part of my incentive will go away because I'm
hoping to have an off-site production server that replicates
essential portions of my infrastructure for leverage in upcoming
negotiations with a provider.  That doesn't mean I won't still want
to do this afterward, but the economics will likely have changed.

On 20-Dec-06, at 09:48, Nathan Kennedy wrote:

> The APM might also
> be useful for us, although I'm not sure how useful given that we don't
> even have a remote console right now, I'll let the admins discuss the
> merits of that at the appropriate time.

I'm hoping to be able to include my own serial console server in the
deal.  No guarantees whatsoever, but it's my strong preference.  (I
have two Cyclades console servers - a functional 32-port one and a 48-
port one that doesn't currently work but may be fixable.)

Thanks,

Graham