[HCoop-Discuss] Cooperation among cooperatives - colocation

Graham Freeman graham.freeman at cernio.com
Wed Dec 20 03:34:25 EST 2006

Hi, folks,

So, you may know that I run the Cernio Technology Cooperative, which
is a for-profit[1] co-op that provides its clients and members with
technology expertise and infrastructure to sustain and enhance their
professional, academic, and personal lives.  So far, that mostly
means we pool resources on colocation so that we each get a better
price than we would in small groups or as individuals.  Right now
we're getting close to filling up a 7-foot cabinet in a San Francisco
datacenter, and that has me looking at the best expansion options.

One thing I'd like to do is to establish geographic redundancy for
our essential services, and I think that Hcoop might be a great way
to do that for North America-East.

So, I'd like to colocate the following equipment in Hcoop's quarter-
cab in New York:

* My 1U Dell PowerEdge 1750 server.   I'd retain ownership of this,
use it as a Xen server, and pay Hcoop my fair share of the power/
cooling/space/bandwidth/IP address expenses.  (How much would that be
for 128Kbps at 95%, ~1.5Amps of power, 1U of space, and 8 IPv4 addresses?)

* My 1U APC PDU AP7900[2].  This device has 8 NEMA 5-15R (United
States household standard 15-Amp 3-prong) power outlets, each of
which can be remotely controlled via an SSH or HTTPS interface.  You
can assign specific username/password combos to specific outlets, so
for example User A can't power off User B's equipment.  It also
allows you to monitor the total current draw (power consumption),
although unfortunately it doesn't show you per-outlet usage.

I'd prefer to sell the PDU to Hcoop in exchange for credit toward my
colocation expenses, but I'd be happy to consider alternatives.
CDW.com has the AP7900 new for $427, and the cheapest eBay "Buy it
now" listing that I see is $300.   I'd be fine with $300+shipping in
"store credit", and I'd give a 30-day warranty.  Also, as I've
mentioned in the "Fixing warped rails" thread thread on this list, I
have an extra set of rails for a Dell PowerEdge 2850.  I'd like to
get rid of these, but would prefer to get something for them.  Maybe
$50 (including shipping) in credit toward colocation expenses?

If we agree that this is worth pursuing, I'd ship the PE2850 rails in
early January (when I get back from vacation in Canada) and plan to
ship my server & the PDU in late Jan or early Feb.

Likewise, I'd encourage Hcoop to consider colocating equipment in
Cernio's cabinet in San Francisco.  I'd be happy to do the legwork in
setting it up and performing on-site maintenance, and if you'd like I
can donate some old (Pentium-II or Pentium-III) 2U equipment.

Thanks!

Graham Freeman
Cernio Tech Co-op
+1 415 462 2991
graham.freeman at cernio.com
Jabber: graham at jabber.org

[1] Stop frothing at the mouth.  :)  We direct any co-op profits
toward reducing shared expenses and otherwise providing greater value
to our members.

[2] http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?
base_sku=AP7900