[Hcoop-discuss] New member process proposal

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sat Apr 22 13:22:00 EDT 2006

Terrence Brannon wrote:
> On 4/22/06, Nathan Kennedy <ntk at hcoop.net> wrote:
>
>> So what I propose is that in cases where someone is referred by a
>> current member or any current member can personally vouch for an
>> applicant,
>>

> I have *referred* 2 or so people. But I could not *vouch* for either
> of them because I simply replied to their query for webhosting in a
> public internet forum. I did not know heads or tails about them before
> referring them here. I think it should be if a member is willing to
> vouch for them not just if they were referred.

I was using the word loosely.  I don't mean that someone is your best
buddy and you'd be willing to indemnify the co-op for their
misbehavior.  I mean at a minimum that you've encountered someone before
in some setting.  I guess if you're really referring someone that you
have zero knowledge whatsoever of then this expedited procedure need not
apply.  e.g. I was most recently thinking of Zach Alexander, who I
referred to the co-op.  I don't know him "personally," but I've
interacted with him online quite a bit and solicited him to join.  In
other words I have no reason to believe that he would be a bad member
and some reason to believe that he would be a good one.
>> that the application be *provisionally* accepted as soon as
>> two board members vote to approve, and a new account can then be created
>> immediately (or rather, immediately on receipt of initial payment if it
>> has not already been made).
>>

>> If new information comes to light at any
>> time during the 48 hours from application, directors can change their
>> votes to revoke the acceptance, and the account can then be deleted.
>>

> What sort of new information would lead to revoking within 48 hours or
> membership as opposed to 48 days? What I mean is certain things can
> get a normal member removed if he violates the AUP. And of course
> these apply to the provisional member. But what extra things apply to
> the provisional member?

It is unlikely.  Basically what I can think of is someone finding out,
either based on someone's name, IP address, or happenstance, that an
applicant is a cracker, has a history of embezzlement or other criminal
activity that could get the co-op in financial or legal trouble, or is
simply a very disruptive person for one reason or another that is likely
cause problems to the co-op or the membership down the line.  It would
certainly be advantageous to knock such a person out before they become
a full member with voting and ownership stake, and avoid the need to
have a full membership vote to kick them out.

>> This would streamline most of our applications where someone is coming
>> in on referral while preserving the potential benefits of allowing
>> members to review applications.
>>

> For a long time, I have not seen new member applications and don't know why.

Well they used to be forwarded to the users at hcoop list.  Now I think
only the directors are getting copies via email.  Perhaps we could tweak
the portal to allow members to subscribe a la the trouble ticket system,
I'm not sure, perhaps this is already possible.  In any event you can
see still see pending applications at
https://members.hcoop.net/portal/apps