[Hcoop-discuss] New member process proposal

Terrence Brannon metaperl at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 13:09:31 EDT 2006

On 4/22/06, Nathan Kennedy <ntk at hcoop.net> wrote:

> So what I propose is that in cases where someone is referred by a
> current member or any current member can personally vouch for an
> applicant,

I have *referred* 2 or so people. But I could not *vouch* for either
of them because I simply replied to their query for webhosting in a
public internet forum. I did not know heads or tails about them before
referring them here. I think it should be if a member is willing to
vouch for them not just if they were referred.

>that the application be *provisionally* accepted as soon as
> two board members vote to approve, and a new account can then be created
> immediately (or rather, immediately on receipt of initial payment if it
> has not already been made).

> If new information comes to light at any
> time during the 48 hours from application, directors can change their
> votes to revoke the acceptance, and the account can then be deleted.

What sort of new information would lead to revoking within 48 hours or
membership as opposed to 48 days? What I mean is certain things can
get a normal member removed if he violates the AUP. And of course
these apply to the provisional member. But what extra things apply to
the provisional member?

> This would streamline most of our applications where someone is coming
> in on referral while preserving the potential benefits of allowing
> members to review applications.

For a long time, I have not seen new member applications and don't know why.