[Hcoop-discuss] New member process proposal

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sat Apr 22 13:45:03 EDT 2006

Terrence Brannon wrote:
> On 4/22/06, Nathan Kennedy <ntk at hcoop.net> wrote:
>
>> If new information comes to light at any
>> time during the 48 hours from application, directors can change their
>> votes to revoke the acceptance, and the account can then be deleted.
>>

> What sort of new information would lead to revoking within 48 hours or
> membership as opposed to 48 days? What I mean is certain things can
> get a normal member removed if he violates the AUP. And of course
> these apply to the provisional member. But what extra things apply to
> the provisional member?

I realized that I did not completely answer this question.  Basically
what I meant was that a provision member would only be admitted as a
full member if he satisfied the normal criteria for membership,
otherwise he would not be admitted at all.  This is just speeding the
process for getting people in the door.  So your question really becomes
"what would deny someone's application for membership that would not get
a member kicked out of the co-op?"

Obviously this is a subjective question since we don't have any
eligibility criteria beyond "open to any member of the public who can
meet the requirements of membership," and that kicking someone out is
simply "for cause" when 2/3 of the members vote to do so.

But here's my take on it.  No-one has a "right" to be a member of the
co-op.  In general, we should be inclusive and welcome as many people
from as many backgrounds as possible, but if someone is denied
membership they have no cause to complain.  On the other hand, once
someone is a full member of the co-op, kicking them out is a drastic
step.  So if we have serious concerns about a potential member, they
could keep someone out even if over something that is not severe enough
to kick a current member out.  Part of this is prevention--we don't KNOW
nonmembers and we don't KNOW what will happen when they are members, and
it's better to prevent than react.  But mostly it's just the seriousness
of expulsion and the effect that it has on a community.

I'm trying to come up with concrete examples, given we haven't had to
kick anyone out yet.  For instance, if someone applied for an account
saying "I want to use HCOOP to host my scat porn site.  I sell pictures
and live shows of myself taking a dump in various natural settings," I
would probably vote to deny that member's application.  On the other
hand, suppose Clinton hosted a picture of himself on the crapper for the
album cover of his latest metal album (sorry Clinton!).  If he really
wanted to do this, I would not make him take it down and I certainly
wouldn't vote to kick him out.

Does that make sense?