[Hcoop-discuss] New member process proposal

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sat Apr 22 12:04:42 EDT 2006

I suggest a very minor tweak in our new-member process.  Currently we
have had a set policy of waiting 48 hours before new members can be
admitted to the co-op.  This seems fairly pointless in most cases.  On
the other hand, it could be valuable in an as-yet-to-happen case where
one of our members has reason to know that someone should not be a
member of our co-op for one reason or another.

So what I propose is that in cases where someone is referred by a
current member or any current member can personally vouch for an
applicant, that the application be *provisionally* accepted as soon as
two board members vote to approve, and a new account can then be created
immediately (or rather, immediately on receipt of initial payment if it
has not already been made).  If new information comes to light at any
time during the 48 hours from application, directors can change their
votes to revoke the acceptance, and the account can then be deleted.
Otherwise, the applicant would automatically become a full member at the
end of the normal 48-hour period.  Voting and ownership rights would
vest at that point.

This would streamline most of our applications where someone is coming
in on referral while preserving the potential benefits of allowing
members to review applications.  I will talk to the other directors in a
few days about formally adopting this as policy, so if you have any
feelings on this issue please discuss.