[Hcoop-discuss] Unresponsive Server

rob at hcoop.net rob at hcoop.net
Tue Nov 15 05:21:30 EST 2005

Has any else noticed that fyodor becomes particularly unresponsive??

It seems to happen most noticeably for me at night time (1AM - 4AM PST).
I notice it most when I have an ssh session open with fyodor -- it will
take several seconds before what I am typing is actually propagated
through the system.  Or, during an SCP with fyodor I'll be informed that
the server has not responded in 15 seconds and then I am prompted to
either retry or abort.  I also see this when browsing web pages fyodor...
Ocassionally the response time is very high.

This happens frequently for me, from various locations so I know its not
my connection.  Its quite frustrating.  Is anyone aware of linux system
performance monitoring tools?  It would be nice to characterize the
problem a little better.  It probably has something to do with our nightly
cron jobs -- maybe we can just use `nice` and set the priority incredibly
low for a night or two to test if it helps..

Any ideas?

-Rob