[Hcoop-discuss] Unresponsive Server

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Tue Nov 15 10:58:23 EST 2005

rob at hcoop.net wrote:

>Has any else noticed that fyodor becomes particularly unresponsive??
>
>It seems to happen most noticeably for me at night time (1AM - 4AM PST).

This is the time when the back-up cron job runs, so that is almost
certainly what is slowing things down.  As far as I know, it's already
running with 'nice' (with no priority argument), but perhaps it a lower
priority would be a good idea?  The job already takes hours to complete. :-(

I'd also like to add that I've used these backups at least once so far,
which justifies their existence to me.  I/we still need to figure out
how to adjust our cron config to let a local NFS server/client
connection work, to present the backups to users.  Does anyone happen to
know what firewall rules we'd need for this?