[Hcoop-discuss] public SVN server - reviving the issue

Terrence Brannon metaperl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 21:41:02 EST 2005

On 12/27/05, Ryan M <kubisuro at att.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Terrence Brannon wrote:
> > I just had a need to do some development and have people on IRC look
> > at what I was doing as I did it so they could d/l it, try it and
> > feedback on it.
> >
> > Mike_L wanted public SVN as well...
> >
> > Let's talk about this and maybe get it going.
> >

> Well, first of all, there are many providers of SVN and CVS services.
> I.E., sourceforge.net, savannah.gnu.org,
> www.berlios.de (pretty popular for SVN), and many others -- check
> http://subversion.tigris.org/project_links.html "Sites that Offer
> Subversion Hosting"

yes, those require applying. In a sense you could just open a generic
project on berlios and create lots of sub projects under there.

I already have my umbrella projects at sf.net for CVS -based things,
but the people I deal with on IRC are svn-oriented.

>   However, I wouldn't advertise the server being
> capable of hosting subversion repositories, as then we'd probably end up
> with too many people wanting in.

well, why not? if they pay their dues, the more the merrier.

> How expensive is SVN when it comes to memory and CPU?

the earlier plan was to have a separate dev server. not to host it at
the same place.