[Hcoop-discuss] Next steps for HCoop

ntk at hcoop.net ntk at hcoop.net
Fri Dec 2 02:37:48 EST 2005

> On 12/2/05, ntk at hcoop.net <ntk at hcoop.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to make some notes on this whole thread.
>>
>> I'd also like to throw out the idea of looking beyond the typical "Linux
>> geek" type of audience (of which I and most of our current users
>> probably
>> qualify as members) for new users.  Certainly we are currently a good
>> fit
>> for such users, but I do not agree with the sentiment that they are the
>> only ones we should target or even the only ones that we are currently
>> useful to.  More on this in a moment.
>
> Cant do that. To accommodate we need to have a control panel style of
> interface like the other providers are offering. But with our current
> security setting where even sending attachments via email is not possible,
> the only way to upload stuff to fyodor is ssh, and this is where non-geek
> idea gets thrown out of the window.

"Can't do that" is a rather defeatist statement.  We are ALREADY doing
that.  We have a number of rather non-technically inclined users, and I
haven't seen any of them complaining on #hcoop.  Granted as far as I know
most of them have been helped out by more tech-minded members, but it has
worked.

And there are GUI client tools that make interfacing with sftp a piece of
cake, and moreover, we already have a "control panel" interface called
usermin, which you may recall was added at the request of members some
time ago.  Neither is a perfect solution, but they are easy enough for the
basic user looking for a web host to learn--not much harder than similar
commercial solutions.  I'm not suggesting that we target geriatric
luddites who don't know how to double-click, but I am suggesting that we
already have a useful service for basic users with computer literacy and
basic web publishing skills.  I am also concerned that we avoid elitism
and comply with the spirit of the first Rochdale principle, "open
membership."

> Yes, if we have 300 members, then we can compete. Currently there are
> provers offering 50GB transfer/mo + 2.5GB for  $5/mo with only limitation
> of
> one website/account. Can we offer that? Maybe in the future, yes but not
> now

Do these plans include shell login?  Unlimited domains?  POP and IMAP
email access?  Databases, custom webservers, CGI, and myriad scripting
options?  No.  Granted the storage and transfer is comparable, but once
you purchase accessories that even begin to compare with HCoop's basic
offerings you end up exceeding $5/mo substantially.  And as you point out,
once we have more members it gets even cheaper.  Even for the basic user
who doesn't care about these add-ons, the price is already about the same.

> Neophytes will be a suport headache. We currently do not have ny provision
> of actual support
> "Admin, my site does not work", Look at the apache logs etc., etc.,
> Currently its tailored towards people who have "Actually used Linux". If
> you
> go after newbies who have been fed on a windows diet, you are in trouble.

Maybe you're right.  But I think we should give them a chance.  And I
suggest we look at our actual experience so far.  It seems to me that a
good half or more of our members are using hcoop for basic static hosting
and email, and they rarely need support help.  Perhaps the newbies fed on
a windows diet might even be curious to poke around the man pages and
learn a little more once they get a linux shell.