[Bond-users] Bond vs. Glom for small clinic

Davor Ocelic docelic at spinlocksolutions.com
Mon Dec 29 05:25:20 EST 2008

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:59:07 +0100
Gour <gour at mail.inet.hr> wrote:

> Dru> Its designed for writing code with pl/pgsql or pl/pythonu and
> Dru> then just designing the forms that work with your schema.  So
> Dru> you will find that most of your code is in the database itself.
> Dru> And this code could be pl/pgsql, python or any one of a number
> Dru> of embedded languages for postgresql.
>
> I never did any pl/X programming but took a look at docs with the list
> of PLs - http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/external-pl.html
>
> Otoh, I might have to work on another project (in Haskell) where the
> similar database back-end might be required...too bad, there is no
> support for Haskell as embedded (procedural) language) :-/
> and based on http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plhandler.html
> I'm not sure how difficult it would be to write one.
>
> Hypothetically, if there would be PL/Haskell, then Bond would be able
> to use it?

Yes. The functions you create in Pg become regular functions you can
call. It's all the same to the client which language they're implemented
in.

I don't know how practical that would be, but Haskell has Pg
connectivity, and there's this thing called HDBC

 http://hackage.haskell.org/cgi-bin/hackage-scripts/package/HDBC

I suppose you could write your functions in Haskell, and then use
Haskell/C connectivity to call the functions from Bond.

Cya,
-doc