[Bond-users] Bond vs. Glom for small clinic

Gour gour at mail.inet.hr
Mon Dec 29 04:59:07 EST 2008

Dru> Hello Gour.  Bond and Glom are quite different.  Glom is similar to
Dru> ms access/file maker, which is easier to use.

I'm not familiar with none of them, but can we say that Glom is similar
to Kexi?

Dru> While bond is a powerful tool for building front end forms to
Dru> postgresql databases.  Its not as easy to use with point and click
Dru> interface as glom.

I'm not attached to point & click...

Dru> If you have a good knowledge of databases then bond is more suited.

OK.

Dru> Its designed for writing code with pl/pgsql or pl/pythonu and then
Dru> just designing the forms that work with your schema.  So you will
Dru> find that most of your code is in the database itself. And this
Dru> code could be pl/pgsql, python or any one of a number of embedded
Dru> languages for postgresql.

I never did any pl/X programming but took a look at docs with the list
of PLs - http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/external-pl.html

Otoh, I might have to work on another project (in Haskell) where the
similar database back-end might be required...too bad, there is no
support for Haskell as embedded (procedural) language) :-/
and based on http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/plhandler.html
I'm not sure how difficult it would be to write one.

Hypothetically, if there would be PL/Haskell, then Bond would be able to
use it?

btw, I managed to install Bond - it would be nice to release new tarball
with the fix for '-Werror' kind of problems in order not to fear new
users too much ;)

Dru> I have not actively maintained the glade xml conversion tools, as I
Dru> write my forms in xml directly. If they do work, then I would
Dru> imagine you would need to change your xml files a bit to make it
Dru> work with bond.

Any plan to support new Gtkbuilder?

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D