[Oct. 17 Seattle] Real Change Ad, etc.

iskra at riseup.net iskra at riseup.net
Thu Sep 24 21:03:24 EDT 2009

I think the suggested slogan change is a step in the wrong direction.

1. I don't think Ira's first point comes across whatsoever.  Ask anyone
outside of the movement.  And, even if it did, I think it would be
incorrect to try and make it the basis of an anti-war broad united front.

2. As for "now," I think it is good to underscore our opposition to
phony "phased withdrawal" schemes that liberal imperialists sometimes
float (although that is far from their current agenda in Afghanistan).
This becomes all the more important given the widely-held and
reality-defying view that Obama is going to "eventually" end the war.
(I have had many people "correct" me when I mentioned Obama's surge in
Afghanistan, as if I was just making it up or something.  Of course this
is despite his repeated election promises to escalate the Afghan war,
and the widespread reports of his follow-through in the mass media.)  I
am not aware of a better word to do this than "now."

Plus, I think the suggested change is unwieldy and stylistically odd.
No gain, all pain.

--Edward