[Oct. 17 Seattle] Good talk but erroneous leaflet

October 17 Seattle october17antiwar at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 20:58:00 EDT 2009

Theodore--

Thanks for your email and your comments.  You are correct that Dostum is not
a fundamentalist  (nor is he a communist in any meaningful sense of the
term).

I took another look at the SAIC leaflet.  There is certainly no intent to
put down the people-- it is denouncing their oppressors.  I'm sure this
could be made more clear.   To put the Afghan Shia personal status law in
perspective, marital rape was widely legal in this country (U.S.) till the
1980's.    In the U.S. sexual assault is both widespread in society and is
endemic both in prisons the military-- the same U.S. military which is
waging war on the people of Afghanistan.  Check out:
http://www.packparachute.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=147&Itemid=138

I run with a different group myself (check out http://vvawai.org).  SAIC,
VVAWAI and others are working together to build antiwar protest in Seattle
on Oct 17.
Groups and individuals in this collective/coalition are putting the demo
info on their own literature as part of building for it.  A growing variety
of views on these issues are represented.

I encourage you to work with us and help build a powerful antiwar protest.
We will be meeting
Wednesday, September 2, 7:00 p.m
Miller Community Center, small conf rm.
330 19th Avenue East, Seattle

I'm Cc'ing this to our organizer's litserv, which includes SAIC people.  If
you want to work with us, let us know.  Your comments and criticism are
always highly welcome.

--Anton Black

http://october17antiwarseattle.blogspot.com/