[Oct. 17 Seattle] Good talk but erroneous leaflet

chr2eemail at comcast.net chr2eemail at comcast.net
Wed Aug 26 02:25:29 EDT 2009

Anton and all,
I must have handed Theodore both the little “mobe” flyer and the SAIC leaflet, and he then assumed that they were put out by the same group. At any rate, I don’t think that his criticism of the SAIC leaflet belongs on this listserv. But since Theodore’s letter is now here I may as well add the reply that I sent to him yesterday. (BTW, I did like your reply, and we are correcting the error about Dostum.)--Fk.
Dear Theodore,
Thank you for sending your critique of the August 14 leaflet. Since we don’t get many critical letters, it’s much appreciated.
The leaflet says that the Afghan government’s constitution is based on Sharia law, which no one can deny. But what is Sharia law? Sharia law according to whose interpretation of Islam? (Were we dealing with a Christian fundamentalist state with a constitution based on the teachings of Christ the same problem would arise because of the differences among the Christian sects over how to interpret these teachings.) The problem is that when religious law is written into a constitution the state has the prerogative of deciding what is the “true teaching,” and forcing this upon the people under penalty of fines, imprisonment, or worse.

Naturally many Afghans oppose this particular law---especially women, but also men---and it has been changed in various ways. Some no doubt oppose it because they don’t believe it’s “true” Sharia law. Others oppose it because it’s based in male-supremacy and violation of democracy. And still others no doubt oppose it on grounds that are a combination of both. But, again, having Sharia law (or the laws of other religions) written into a constitution means that there is going to be tyranny, including over believers who don’t believe the “right way.” So while it’s not our business to enter into debate over what is “true” Sharia law, it is our business to oppose religious tyranny, and to stand up for the rights of women everywhere.

You’re right about Dostum: like Gulbuddin Hekmatyar he’s switched sides, and more than once. This goes with warlordism. Insofar as his political ideology is concerned, because of our basis of unity we as a committee can’t take the position that since the Soviet imperialists were not communists, then it would be unlikely that Dostum was a communist when he was allied with them. Nor can we take the position that his entire career shows that he’s a mortal enemy of communism. But many of our members believe this. Nevertheless, we do thank you for pointing out that Dostum is not a fundamentalist warlord, and we may clarify this by changing the wording for our next printing.
Lastly, it’s hard to understand your objections about the leaflet not being sympathetic to the plight of all Afghan people. True, it’s not sympathetic to the warlord-dominated government, nor to the Taliban and other oppressors of the people, but from beginning to end it expresses sympathy for the plight of the masses of people. Indeed, it calls upon working class and progressive people in the U.S. (the vast majority) to come to their aid by building the anti-war movement.

Moreover, we think that to really bring out the sympathy of the exploited workers and other oppressed people in this country to the plight of the Afghan people means doing more than pointing out that the Afghans are victims. No, they’re living and thinking people who find ways to struggle against their domestic and U.S.-NATO enemies despite everything. They’re a people with courage; and "you can cut down the flower, but nothing can stop the coming of the spring" is an old Afghan expression.

Again, thanks for writing, and we hope to see you at the October 17 demonstration!
Frank Arango, SAIC member