Brewing Saturday! Joey's Jasmine-Oolong Pale Ale / My Spring Pale Ale?

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Thu Mar 6 04:56:54 EST 2014

Greetings,

Joey seemed pretty interested in brewing Saturday, and I'm raring at the
bit too.

I attached an html an export of the recipe I came up with. The idea is
that since Joey wants to brew a Jasmine-Oolong infused pale ale and I
want to brew a pale ale... let's brew both. There are no hop additions
after T-15min; I went for hop flavor, but little kettle hop aroma. I'm
going to dry hop my half with citra and cascade to get a good hop aroma,
the Jasmine-Oolong infused half will have an aroma defined by that.

The boring parts:

 * Nothing exciting: Cascade (and a dash of citra) for hops, basic 2-row
   and a couple of crystal malts for a base. I added a bit of belgian
   biscuit malt instead of Crystal 20L to make it every-so-slightly
   "bready". Bitterness is moderate (around SNPA levels).

 * Thirst quencher: I aimed for 4.8-5.2% ABV so that it's light but not
   tooooo light. The mash it set at 152F so that there's a bit of body
   left.

 * Easy to brew: Three hop additions and we can just use the pH 5.2
   stabilizer instead of adjusting our water content. The mash is
   designed to be easy and give us an extra half gallon to work with.

 * Cheap: Grains: ~$20. Hops: ~$15. Yeast: ~$14 (or $8 if we use dry yeast)
          Ten gallons of spring beer: six hours of work and $50 (or: 50
          cents a bottle!)

Since it's ten gallons, and the first brew in many months, a spare
brewing minion or four would be great. It'll be nice outside, and
there's a grill so excess labor could be directed toward...

LET'S DO THIS.