Wort Viscosity and Hop Utilization

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 00:35:23 EDT 2012

Greetings,

Clinton, you had mentioned wort viscosity as a factor in hop utilization,
and specifically doubted that my IPA was as hoppy as planned for. So I
looked around, and from what I can see it's mostly a problem on
less-than-full wort boils, being denser than expected. Fortunately, the IPA
I brought over was a full wort boil--I didn't need any top-up water.
Furthermore, I use the late extract method on my stovetop, so about 2/3 of
the DME goes in at flameout. Under those conditions, I feel pretty
confident that I hit my IBU target of 55.

Do you have any good sources for the details of hop utilization and wort
viscosity? All I've read about it has been pieced together by blog posts
here and there, and nothing concrete (or encyclopedic, anyway) seems to pop
up.

Tell me how much you hate it!

--
Steven F. Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>