Attn. Clinton Ebadi

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 19:24:51 EDT 2012

On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org>wrote:

> Steve Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I have. I recommend at a minimum increasing the temperature a few
> degrees to
> > ensure that the saison doesn't get damped down. You'll ignore this as
> you do
> > everything else I recommend, but you're the one who congratulated Rachel
> on her
> > willingness to experiment. Keeping the temperature down will minimize
> that
> > experiment.
>
> Read. What. I. Wrote.
>
> It is at the correct temperature.
>
> Also, beer *can* be ruined at the end. Bpt's beer still has a 3" krausen
> so the yeast are very much active; a significant temperature shift (I
> think 12 degrees in a 36 hour period counts) can lead to stressed yeast
> and solventy/metallic off-flavors being formed.
>
> When given the option between risking ruining a beer that is close to
> completion and the Saison having an acceptable but perhaps less funky
> phenol profile... it's at 71F anyway.

OK, we're back to Clinton Is Right Because Clinton Is Right. I don't think
that one degree every three hours is going to stress the yeast at this end
of fermentation, but it boils down to your judgment versus mine. I've dealt
with my share of krausens, so I'm not talking out of my ass. But you're the
one in control of the regulator.

Since I have no say in the matter, I'll end the discussion here and be
content that both beers will be fine.

Steven F. Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>
| elvestinkle @ twitter
| pursuing.calefaction.org