Proposal

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:59:11 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org>wrote:

> Steve Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Any particular utility to it? Or just for arbitrarity's sake? It does
> make
> > sense to deal with hops in grams, I suppose. Are brewtarget recipes
> easily
> > convertible?
>
> BeerXML stores values in metric (just flip an interface prep go go go
> metric!).
>
> It's always bothered me how foreign metric volumes, weights other than
> grams (because, honestly, ounces suck for measuring spices, hops,
> chemicals, &c), and temperatures are. So, why not brew in metric and be
> pretentious jerks and feel smart.

The exponent of 2 for liquids has been useful for me. But base 10 is much
easier in terms of division. Fortunately, gallons to liters is pretty close
to a 1:4 relationship, so it's not so painful to switch.

I think my main issue would be using Celsius--especially for the mash. I
like that there are nice whole numbers for each mash temp using Fahrenheit,
and using C would mean trying to hit fractions of a degree.