Supply Requisition Form

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 11:10:24 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org>wrote:

> p.s. remind me to add the buffer 5.2 and also to check the pH AT ROOM
> TEMP (fun fact: the 5.2ish target pH is at room temp, and at mash temp
> is something like 0.3-0.5 lower ... that explains that then!).

So, I did some more reading, and it looks like until we get an electronic
pH meter, it doesn't make a huge impact if we use hot wort or room temp
wort as long as we factor in the pH change related to temperature (~0.35
difference). The electronic meters are apparently calibrated at room temp,
though, so they need to be kept at that state to function well. It'll be
good practice to test a sample at room temp, and I agree that we should
begin recording both. But unless we can cool the sample in less than 5
minutes, it'll be useless in terms of adjusting mash pH further on the fly
using room temp pH data.

Steven F. Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>
| elvestinkle @ twitter
| pursuing.calefaction.org