Stovetop brewday this evening: gluten free!

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 17:13:06 EST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Steve Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm ramping up for my stovetop batch of gluten-free this evening, and I
> would like to invite you to join me if you're up for it. I'll probably
> start around 5pm. I'm considering a recipe modified from the Gluten Free
> McGee on the Homebrew Exhange:
>
> http://homebrewexchange.net/content/gluten-free-mcgee-ale

So, I can relate some notes now that it's been chugging along in the
primary for a few days. For reference, the recipe:

http://wiki.calefaction.org/HomeBrewing/Recipes?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=stovetopsorghumamber.html

Hooray winter in a ground-level apartment--I have had almost no difficulty
keeping the fermenter below 62℉. The major observation is that the krausen
is incredibly low and flat. Before I researched, I was starting to worry
that I had a pellicle on my hands. But nope, just yeast. This is a thing
with sorghum. I took some pictures of the krausen that I'll put on the blog
post that I wrote here:

http://pursuing.calefaction.org/2012/01/beer-update-gluten-free/

Yours,

--