[Calefaction Wiki] Update of "HomeBrewing" by SteveKillen

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 23:40:31 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 10:18 PM, Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org>wrote:

> Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org> writes:
>
> > Steve Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> The time approaches rapidly. I request your feedback concerning the
> structure
> >> of the brewing schedule for the next couple months. Some specifics: I am
> not
> >> tied to a particular day on any given week, but we must be doing
> something on
> >> most weeks. The blue cells indicate where the action is, and the yellow
> weeks
> >> are weeks where all fermenters are in conditioning.
> >>
> >> I timed it to give the saison the most total time. I rather enjoyed the
> early
> >> stages of the porter, so I don't mind one batch having longer time in
> bottle,
> >> but the saison most certainly needs every week it can get to be at peak
> delish
> >> by wedding time. I tried to do a two-fermenter schedule, but I'm not
> pleased
> >> with how little time it gives overall.
> >
> > plz post a file in an acceptable Free format and not google documents.
>
> Just a few warnings:
>
> 1. HCoop board meeting is at 1 p.m. on the 24th so you lose both bpt and
>   me until at the earliest 3 p.m. Alternatively there is Saturday, but
>   uhhhh look at the weather forecast.

If we get a late start I won't sweat it. My aim is to be flexible.

> 2. No brewing can happen here whenever it is that we move. I assume this
>   for some multiple day period August 25th -> September 6th or 11th.

BPT, can brewing occur at Chamberlain Ave during that window? If not, we can
try to sneak in a brew/bottle just before.

> 3. I have a slate of relatives visiting starting August 1st. Between the
>   1st and 8th every room will be occupied (bonus room included) and so
>   I really have nowhere to store a fermenter that needs the fan without
>   pissing someone off. Given that it'll be 100F+ for the next week or
>   three ... the fan has to run at full power to keep everything even in
>   just the upper 60s... after the first set leaves it's just my aunt
>   kathy's kids and I can tell them to stuff it.
>
> 4. Glass is off limits right unless I want to do one small batch because
>   moving that is unsafe.

Better Bottles are a-ok with me; I cannot pretend to detect any difference
in taste :)

> 5. I don't really have a way to move beer even in Better Bottles. I can
>   ride in the backseat of a car protecting two fermenters however.

I will provide all necessary transportation of fermenters. We can host them
here while fermenting and conditioning (and even do the bottling here when
we are not simul-brewing). I don't expect we'll need to transport more than
one fermenter at a time, though.

> My schedule is looking like:
>
>  - Tuesdays are all off limits (slashdot scheduled every afternoon for at
>   least the next five weeks)
>  - I cannot commit to Sunday only brewing. I have to install a new
>   server for HCoop among other things /sometime/.
>  - MOVING
>  - I may very well have the Friday morning slashdot shift

I fully expect to have non-Tuesday weekdays off, especially as I transition
to school again.

> Another thing, most of the time I let people leave without cleaning up
> everything. Starting now I don't want to be doing most of the cleanup
> unless it is for my beer. If we brew on a Friday when I have a slashdot
> shift except little assistance from zombie Clinton.

We'll play the actual schedule by ear; I just used the Sunday of each week
as a convenient date anchor. I'm not too pressed about the specific days as
long as we have a day that is feasible on any given week. Not doing this has
become not an option for me.

To that end, I intend and expect to be doing about 95% of the work on this,
including bottle scrubbing and cleanup; the only things I absolutely can't
do by myself are the last bit of bottling (tilting the bucket) and dough-in
at mash, and even those I can hack if need be. I will be grateful for any
and all help y'all wish to provide, and will compensate you handsomely for
it with beer, but I am certainly not trying to recruit you as beer slaves.
:) I'm a practiced hand now.

> p.s. bpt still has a beer to brew and I need to brew at least one more
>     batch of beer somewhere in there because I'm going to run out. The
>     ginger-chamomile wheat needs bottling when we brew next as well.

We should have fermenter space for this for the next couple weeks, but we
must act rather than dally. If you need me to buy another fermenter I can,
though. At most I wish to have the porter and both saisons in fermenters in
3 weeks' time, and if that means owning 3 6-gallon fermenters, then by Jove,
I'll do it :)

--

Steven F. Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>
| elvestinkle @ twitter