Hop schedules: wtf [wedding brews]

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 22:00:54 EDT 2011

So I added the hop characteristics chart to the wiki, and I also added a
link to an article on Mr. Malty about late-hopping.

These additions are the fruits of tonight's research into hop schedules,
something that I have run up against in formulating the wedding brews.
Clinton has rightly told me that my hop schedules sucked, so I tried to find
some base principles to adopt rather than just poke blindly at it and hope
Clinton doesn't complain.

Summary of my thinking so far: it looks like the 60-[20-15]-[7-5-3-flameout]
appears to be an interesting guideline, where 60 is the bittering hop, 20-15
is the flavor hop, and the group thereafter is useful for aroma and flavor
hops.

Concerning which hop to use when, I'm still benighted, save that you should
use your high AA hop for the bittering, and then arbitrarity bites you in
the ass for the rest.

Steven F. Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com>
| elvestinkle @ twitter
| pursuing.calefaction.org