[HCoop-Misc] Tools are worth learning, yes. (was part of h-discuss, Proportional Representation?)

Steve Taylor staylor at hcoop.net
Tue Feb 26 00:05:24 EST 2008

Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> writes:

> Stephen Taylor wrote:
>> ...his discovery that his experience was not
>> enough and it was his problem.

> To be fair, the issue here is unwillingness to
> read documentation. Many hosting services use
> entirely standard tools that most customers will
> be familiar with, but, IMO, our tools are
> superior and worth learning. (Not to mention
> that all of the "standard" tools are either
> insecure [for our setting] or
> limited/cumbersome.)

> We also have the creation of tools with lower
> learning curves (but less "power") relatively
> high on our queue of things to do once we have
> our new server set-up mostly done.

After reading the more-to-learn criticism I
re-thought and reached a similar conclusion about
the need to learn, read documentation.

Only if there was a pattern of experienced
sysadmins raising the same issue would I be
concerned.

Thanks again, and I'll try to follow-up usefully
on other points (or not at all).

And I hope I have not overloaded too many silent
readers with this barrage of questions.

tx/Steve/duoduo