[HCoop-Misc] Lost Domain.

leitgebj at hcoop.net leitgebj at hcoop.net
Mon Mar 5 07:17:54 EST 2007

Hi Naren,

It looks like a domain squatter picked up slashn.net.  Usually, they
keep track of the number of hits that the site receives.  They make
money either by selling advertisements on the site or by selling it back
to someone at whatever they value it to be worth.  Chances are that
they'll renew the site if they deem it profitable.

BTW, just because they bought the site does not mean that they're a
domain registrar, although they might be.  Being a registrar gets you
special benefits, e.g., you have access to a text file of the whois
database.  Also you can "float" a domain, meaning that you can "buy" it
for some short period (7 days or so) and then release it without paying
if you dont' like it.  Some squatters have taken advantage of this
"feature" of being a registrar to buy a domain and then track the number
of hits that it gets, if this is above a certain threshold of
profitability then they keep it.

Your best chance is to contact the squatters in the whois record for the
zone if you want the domain back, but they're at liberty to charge you
whatever they deem it to be worth.

Also FYI, the reason that the squatters picked up the domain so quickly
after it wasn't re-registered is that many squatters poll the whois
database at a certain interval to determine which domains to buy.
Sometimes this buying process is even scripted by the squatters. :(

Hope this helps.

Justin