[HCoop-Misc] a query about ssl certificates

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Mon Jun 4 11:11:56 EDT 2007

Tanveer Singh wrote:
> If I genereate a certificate for him using the required openssl
> command, can I generate the crt file on any unix machine and mail it
> to him?
> After that he can give that to the hosting providor and they can
> install it for him.
> Or do I need to generate the certificate on that server only?

You can generate the certificate anywhere, and it will work just as
well. However, his provider isn't charging him $50 just to run an
openssl command for him. The certificates they sell probably have short
paths to certificate authorities included with the popular browsers.
This means that users would be able to visit his site without getting
warnings about untrusted certificates. They _would_ get such warnings
for any self-signed certificate, and that is what you would be getting
if you ran an openssl command yourself.