[HCoop-Misc] a query about ssl certificates

Tanveer Singh tanveer at hcoop.net
Mon Jun 4 09:16:31 EDT 2007

Hi,
A friend of mine has a website which is hosted on its own dedicated
server. For security reasons he wants himself and admins to login
through https, but currently ssl is not setup up. His service
providor(hosting provider) will do that for 20$, but they will give a
certificates for around 50$ a year.
He does not want to buy from them. In that case they say that he has
to provide them with a certificate. I guess they are asking for a crt
file?
If I genereate a certificate for him using the required openssl
command, can I generate the crt file on any unix machine and mail it
to him?
After that he can give that to the hosting providor and they can
install it for him.
Or do I need to generate the certificate on that server only?
thanks
Tanveer