[Hcoop-misc] MS Windows Screen Organization

Michael Olson mwolson at member.fsf.org
Fri Feb 10 17:49:39 EST 2006

rob at hcoop.net writes:

> I recently got a secondary monitor added to my Windows machine at
> work.  I'm horribly unimpressed with how the Windows shell utilizes
> my two screens.  Really what I would like is some kind Window Manger
> similar to GNOME or KDE; with virtual terminals and such.  The
> closest thing to this that I know of in Windows is Litestep.  Its
> been about 4 years since I've used Litestep and at that time I
> remember it being pretty much crap as far as configuration went.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations either for or against Litestep,
> or any other package that I might find useful?

You could install Cygwin (tutorial at
http://cplus.about.com/od/compilersandides/l/aa061204a.htm), and then
pick a favorite window manager.  Most of the major standalone ones are
ported, IIRC, like blackbox and WindowMaker.  A WindowMaker+Cygwin
mini-tutorial is at http://www.khngai.com/emacs/xfree86.php.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: manga, Debian, XHTML, wiki, Emacs Lisp