[HCoop-Help] wordpress spam, failed mail delivery notices.

Jesse Shumway layline at hcoop.net
Fri May 17 18:21:30 EDT 2013

Hello,

You can until Clinton, or one of the other admins has a chance to take a look at it. Or, you can look at my suggestions while you wait - for what they're worth.

I'm not an admin nor do I have any knowledge of PHP or wordpress for that matter. With these shortcomings revealed, I'd suggest you drill down into your wordprss PHP scripts. It might be the source of the PHP injection attack that turns your wordpress instance into a spam machine. Is 10924 your user id?

The X-Originating-IP field could be spoofed, but ask yourself: does the address 89.28.14.25 seem reasonable? It's a dynamic IP address belonging to the Starnet ISP in Moldova.

I'm sure there's a log somewhere of outbound email, but you might need some admin permissions to view it. You could search it by the 'To:'  and 'Message-Id:' fields you're seeing in this bounce summaries. This would tell you if indeed your site is originating the spam.

Have you searched to see of any PHP injection attacks against this version of wordpress? Ones with a locus of line 32 in akismet.php. Here's one I just stumbled across with a simple google search…

  http://wordpress.org/support/topic/site-hacked-through-akismet

This forum post above might have some provocative insights for you, short of shutting down your site.

Good luck and have fun!

-- Jesse Shumway  <layline AT hcoop.net>