[HCoop-Help] Envelope sender on bog

Kenneth Pronovici pronovic at ieee.org
Thu Feb 28 15:55:50 EST 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to track down a difference in behavior between mire/deleuze and
bog.

My procmail recipes forward some mail to <pronovic at gmail.com>.  I follow
Google's advice to set up the return path, so SRS records in the header are
maintained properly (sendmail -oi -f <proper return path>).

This procmail setup works fine on deleuze.  Historically, it also worked on
mire: I have a cron job that runs periodically to pick up certain emails
and manually re-process them through procmail, and I never noticed any
problems.

However, I see different behavior on bog than on deleuze and mire.  Every
email that gets forwarded from bog gets an envelope-sender of <
pronovic at hcoop.net>.  When the emails arrive in gmail, they look like they
were sent by me rather than the original sender.  The original From: and
other sender information is completely lost.

To narrow down the root cause, I also tested using mutt running on bog.  I
took a message that I knew was processed correctly on deleuze and bounced
(remailed) it to myself.  By the time I got it, the sender had been changed
to <pronovic at hcoop.net>.  On mire, a bounce like this would maintain the
original sender.

It seems that Exim must be configured differently on bog than on mire, but
I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for.  The /etc/exim4 config files on
mire are substantially different than bog, probably just because bog has a
newer version of the Debian package.   The main thing I see that looks
suspicious is in update-exim4.conf.conf.  In this file, mire is configured
in 'satellite' mode (using deleuze as a smarthost) and bog is configured in
'local' mode.  Since deleuze handles things properly, it seems like this
could explain the difference in behavior.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help,

KEN

--