[HCoop-Help] Domtool serverAlias, redirection

Michael Shynar shmichael at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 19:02:03 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 9:26 PM, Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> wrote:

> Michael Shynar wrote:
> > I am experiencing two problems:
> > 1. I can't get growing-software.shmichael.com
> > <http://growing-software.shmichael.com> to work.
>
> [serverAlias] won't add a DNS mapping, and no other part of your config
> is adding a DNS mapping for this host.  Try adding this line right
> before the [web] line:
>     dnsIP "host" web_ip;

That was indeed the issue. I added this as an example to the wiki at
http://wiki.hcoop.net/DomTool/Examples#SubdomainRedirection

> > 2. www.shmichael.com <http://www.shmichael.com> gets rewritten as
> > shmichael.com <http://shmichael.com> (I want an alias behaviour, not a
> > rewrite).
>
> I ran 'domtool-admin describe shmichael.com', and I don't see anything
> there that would cause the rewrite.  I'm not sure about the behavior of
> the Apache 'RewriteRule' that appears, which doesn't mention a host
> explicitly, but it would be weird if it automatically rewrote to a
> location at a host besides the main name for this vhost.  My best guess
> is that WordPress itself is performing the rewrite.  I don't have
> experience with WordPress, so I don't have any further advice to offer.

I disabled the wordpress rewrite rules, but still experience the same
phenomena.
Here's the Apache vhost configuration generated (no rewrite rules this
time):
Web vhost www.shmichael.com:

# Owner: shmichael
<VirtualHost 69.90.123.68:80>
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/user/s/sh/shmichael/apache/log/mire/
www.shmichael.com/error.log
        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/user/s/sh/shmichael/apache/log/mire/
www.shmichael.com/access.log combined
        ServerName www.shmichael.com

        SuexecUserGroup shmichael
nogroup
        suPHP_UserGroup shmichael
nogroup
        WaklogEnabled
on

        WaklogLocationPrincipal
shmichael/daemon at HCOOP.NET/etc/keytabs/user.daemon/shmichael
        DAVLockDB
/var/lock/apache2/dav/shmichael/DAVLock

        DocumentRoot /afs/hcoop.net/user/s/sh/shmichael/wordpress

        ServerAdmin shmichael at hcoop.net

        ServerAlias shmichael.com

        ServerAlias growing-software.shmichael.com

</VirtualHost>

I will leave the wordpress commented out for the next day or two, to allow
any helpful admins to look into the issue.