[HCoop-Help] Domtool serverAlias, redirection

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Tue Dec 8 14:26:01 EST 2009

Michael Shynar wrote:
> I have a simple domtool config, for running wordpress on shmichael.com
> <http://shmichael.com>:
>
> dom "shmichael.com <http://shmichael.com>" where
>   CreateWWW = false
> with
>   web "www" where
>     DocumentRoot = home "wordpress"
>   with
>     addWordPress "/";
>     serverAliasDefault;
>     serverAlias "growing-software"
>   end
> end;
>
> I am experiencing two problems:
> 1. I can't get growing-software.shmichael.com
> <http://growing-software.shmichael.com> to work.

[serverAlias] won't add a DNS mapping, and no other part of your config
is adding a DNS mapping for this host.  Try adding this line right
before the [web] line:
     dnsIP "host" web_ip;

> 2. www.shmichael.com <http://www.shmichael.com> gets rewritten as
> shmichael.com <http://shmichael.com> (I want an alias behaviour, not a
> rewrite).

I ran 'domtool-admin describe shmichael.com', and I don't see anything
there that would cause the rewrite.  I'm not sure about the behavior of
the Apache 'RewriteRule' that appears, which doesn't mention a host
explicitly, but it would be weird if it automatically rewrote to a
location at a host besides the main name for this vhost.  My best guess
is that WordPress itself is performing the rewrite.  I don't have
experience with WordPress, so I don't have any further advice to offer.