[HCoop-Help] Commercial Site for Others / Non-member

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Fri Apr 17 08:21:48 EDT 2009

I've said this before, but the co-op may be nonprofit, but it's not a
charity.  We should be agnostic to the content our members are hosting.  As
I mentioned before, the pledge system was supposedly intended to be a
temporary fix and completely voluntary.

We have many members who host websites for free for other organizations or
persons that they have various ties to.  The member acts as administrator
for the website and as far as HCoop is concerned we don't even have to know
that this other organization even exists.  It would seriously hamper
HCoop's utility if we did not allow this.

What possible difference does it make to HCoop whether a member is
receiving remuneration for this? It makes none, because this has nothing to
do with us, and any policy based on that would be unenforceable.

These members are not "reselling," they are offering their own value-added
service based on HCoop, and we've always allowed commercial users.  As long
as the third party isn't logging in and isn't talking to us, that should be
fine, it's not 'abusing' HCoop.

Any strain on HCoop resources is a completely different issue.  We have
commercial users with small static websites with very little footprint and
personal users with big dynamic websites with a big footprint accounting
for a larger proportion of our total load.

If and when this becomes a problem, the solution is usage-based fees based
on objective criteria like bandwidth, CPU, and storage, not discriminating
arbitrarily against commercial/noncommercial usage.

-ntk