[HCoop-Help] IP Address Cost/Availability

Michal Charemza michalcharemza at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 18:19:14 EDT 2009

On 11 Apr 2009, at 14:08, Adam Chlipala wrote:
>> No new IP address is needed if you are comfortable with every
>> visiting
> browser displaying a warning that the hostname on the SSL certificate
> doesn't match the actual hostname.  I'm not sure exactly what hostname
> would come up for member web sites on mire, but we could certainly set
> it up so that something like "generic.hcoop.net" came up, if that ever
> became an issue for anyone.

I'll probably go for the unique IP if it's available, but I'm curious
as to how the senario is possible without a unique IP. Looking at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html#vhosts2
  (right at the end) it seems to say that SSL hosts on the same IP can
be differentiated using port numbers:

- So could I then use mydomain.com:9876 or similar for https?

- If so, then why couldn't I then use a certificate for mydomain.com:
9876, to avoid warnings?

Michal.