[HCoop-Help] "self-backgrounding" daemons and k5start (was: Long running bot)

Adam Megacz megacz at hcoop.net
Wed Jun 4 11:26:37 EDT 2008

alephnull at hcoop.net (Alok G. Singh) writes:
> On  4 Jun 2008, megacz at hcoop.net wrote:
>
>> Interesting.  Could you try this again using "eggdrop -n"?
>
> This I should have figured out by myself :(
> Things are as they should be now.   The bit survives more than 10
> hours.

Ok, great.  Apparently if you don't supply the "-n" switch, eggdrop
"de-parents" itself from k5start.  Once it does this, k5start can't do
its job anymore.

There are a number of other programs that do this too, so I will add a
general note to the wiki page about this.

> Now what do I do next ?
> Do I have to set it up so that it run inside a screen in
> foreground mode rather than as a daemon ?

At this point there are many, many options for you to choose from.  At
this point things are no longer AFS-specific, so I'll just make two
suggestions -- but others probably have better ideas, so don't limit
yourself to what I recommend.

1. If you supply the "-b" option to k5start, then it will background
   itself.  I think that in your particular case, this will get the
   effect you want (giving "-b" to k5start is like NOT giving "-n" to
   eggdrop).

2. Another option is "nohup" (try "man nohup").

  - a