[HCoop-Help] What use is the wordPress or addWordPress domtool directive?

Björn Lindström bkhl at hcoop.net
Mon Feb 18 20:57:47 EST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 12:00 AM, Srikanth Sastry <sastry at hcoop.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> Two queries/observations:
> (1) I am genuinely confused as to why we need a specific wordPress or
> addWordPress directive on domtool.
> I dont know what the equivalent 'vhost' config for 'wordPress' is, and
> so I really have no idea whats going on under the hood.
> This became a problem because I wanted to install wordpress at the
> domain level (http://mydomain.com, or http://www.mydomain.com). Now all
> the config examples, and HowTo guides show how to configure wordpress as
> a subdomain, or a directoy within a subdomain, but not on how to do that
> at the domain level itself. I did try the 'domain' config, and
> configured 'www' as a wordpress subdomain. But then http://mydomain.com
> loaded the Hcoop website instead of my blog. 'serverAliasDefault'
> doesn't work under the config 'wordPress'.
> I 'fix' I came up with for it was to configure the domain as a regular
> website, simply ignoring the wordPress config, and guess what it works!
> my wordpress installation works perfectly! So why do we need the
> wordPress or addWordPress directive?

These directives add a vhost with the rewriting rules needed to for
WordPress' URI rewriting to work.

The exact configuration added can be seen in
/afs/hcoop.net/user/d/do/domtool/lib/web_apps.dtl

If you try the configuration out you can also see the resulting Apache
configuration with

$ domtool-admin describe your.domain

I know configuration with .htaccess was enabled on mire for a while.
Is it still?