[HCoop-Discuss] Proposal to change our official IRC presence

Kenneth Pronovici pronovic at hcoop.net
Sat May 29 12:26:30 EDT 2021

On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 01:55:43AM -0400, Robin Templeton wrote:
> Given the above, and that over half of our IRC users are already using
> #hcoop on libera.chat (while no one has expressed a preference for OFTC
> so far AFAIK), I propose the following change:
>
> HCoop will move its official IRC presence to #hcoop on irc.libera.chat
> on 2021-06-05.
>
> ...i.e., next Saturday, allowing a week for discussion. If there is
> general consensus for moving to Libera, we can update our wiki, etc., to
> direct members to the Libera channel, and the decision could be ratified
> at the next board meeting. (We could also register as an official
> project on Libera, which has some benefits beyond being an ordinary
> channel.)

Hi Robin,

The board has also been discussing this privately for about a week.  I
would support a move to Libera, since it seems to be a better fit for us
than OFTC.

I'm not a frequent user of IRC and I don't know enough to understand
whether there are any other technical steps required to implement a
move, other than what you have listed above.  So, I'll defer to the
others on that part of your proposal.  But as long as we have general
agreement on the steps and there's someone who has time to do the work,
I'm ok with 2021-06-05.  (I do not have any time to help that weekend.)

Thanks,

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic at hcoop.net>