[HCoop-Discuss] Improved Portal Payment Page Preview (Including Stripe!)

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Thu Mar 27 20:32:38 EDT 2014

I voiced my bitcoin complaints on -discuss before w.r.t. coinbase.

My opinion is unchanged; I won't ragequit if we start accepting bitcoin,
but I would strongly urge that:
1. Any payments are settled in USD so HCoop isn't subject to Bitcoin
commodity risk (I haven't read through, I assume that's the case).
2. I didn't say this before, but I don't really have a huge problem with
previously authenticated users (via credit card) topping up their
accounts in bitcoin if that floats their boat. We already know who they
are as well as we ever have.  But I would strongly urge that the initial
payment be required to be made by credit card.  Or that we have some
other minimally meaningful method of verifying identity if someone signs
up with bitcoin, which to me sounds like a huge hassle.  Does stripe do
this? Their bitcoin page seems to have no information.

If there's a consensus that we will allow essentially anonymous sign-ups
via bitcoin, then I think we should hold off on that, make a loud
announcement to -announce to give people a chance to weigh in and/or
move anything half-way sensitive off of HCoop. There's both security and
governance problems allowing completely unauthenticated users to join,
get shell access, and participate in co-op affairs.

Then there's also my personal bias that bitcoin still is far from
mainstream and just inheritably unsuitable as a means of value store
(not to mention a tremendous waste power and electronics), so I'm not
terribly enthusiastic about touting it, but that's all secondary to the
security concerns.  Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I'd gotten in
on the pyramid scheme four years ago, but that's where I stand.

Nathan