[HCoop-Discuss] Site Redesign

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Tue Mar 15 22:02:56 EDT 2011

Lauren McNees <lauren at hcoop.net> writes:

> Thanks for the feedback, everyone. No suggested changes, though? You're too
> easy to please. Should I go ahead and plug some content in, or give people more
> time to respond?

I think the design is good, and we should start thinking about how to
integrate content into it (even if the design sees more changes it can't
hurt).

The member list, location summary, and hosted sites directory are all
generated by scripts from the portal database via a cron job. Lauren, if
you give me a template chunk of the html you want for each entry I can
modify the scripts that generate those pages to dump whatever you need
to integrate their content.

As far as what is used to stitch everything together, anything that
hcoop supports seems reasonable. For this I suspect SSI would be good
enough and low maintenance, but something like php would be OK. Or
whatever you are comfortable with.

For now, I think the portal (ugly as it is) works OK and unless
improvements can be made using only CSS it can be left as-is. If someone
else is comfortable with embedded sml in html we can set up a test
database and whatnot for making changes to the html itself--but aside
From providing basic assistance I don't have time for the portal (I'd
rather expend effort on making other infrastructure improvements).

--
<captain_krunk> ntk is currently using "telnet fyodor 25" to send email